Schools Liaison Officers
Generally, there is a Schools Liaison Officer (SLO) volunteering in each UK County. Their remit is to promote a better understanding of the role of the engineer and the contribution engineering makes to society. They work closely with the local STEM Ambassador hub and local organisations to promote STEM subjects to children and young people aged 5-19.
Main duties and responsibilities of a SLO are as follows:
- Support schools and/or youth work led organisations STEM activities including careers talks, after school clubs and science fairs;
- Represent the IET at careers fairs and science fairs;
- Support applications to the IET Engineering Education Grant Scheme;
- Share information and best practice with IET staff for dissemination amongst the SLO network, and for use in planning support for future activities and projects.
All SLO’s are supported by an IET Education Manager and receive the following training:
- STEM Ambassador induction and Enhanced Disclosure Check;
- IET Education 5-19 induction session;
- Safeguarding children and Adults at risk training;
- Data Protection.
SLO’s can access free promotional resources from the IET to support events or projects. These resources will be information leaflets or practical activities based on coding, mathematical thinking and constructing a LED Torch for example.
To request an introduction to your local Schools Liaison Officer, please contact us.
Request a STEM Ambassador
STEM Ambassadors volunteer their time, enthusiasm and experience to encourage and inspire young people to achieve more and progress further in STEM. Over 2,500 IET members are STEM Ambassadors.